I’m going to write for five minutes every day. Starting today.
Last night was my first class of the semester. I’m taking computing and I was one of two girls in the class. I laughed out loud when one of the guys was visibly disappointed that I wasn’t going into programming and am only taking the class as a prerequisite.
I learned about binary, hexadecimals, solid storage, optical storage, portable storage, RAM, ROM, etc. After one class I feel like I have a basic understanding of how a computer works. I never thought I would care about binary (I’m married to an engineer, and trust me, he has explained binary many times) but learning the difference between analog and digital was interesting. I now understand how CD technology works. Essentially the disc is read by a laser, and the shiny side of the disc has lands and pits, and as the laser hits these lands and pits it reads binary which is translated into usable data. Cool beans.
Actually, I loved the whole class. I was genuinely interested in the technology and how it has changed and evolved.
I wonder if I had been exposed to any of this earlier in my life if it would have changed my path. I think I would be an excellent programmer. I can follow logic, I’m creative, and I enjoy problem solving. I like creating instructions. I am feeling inspired after one class. I hope the rest of the semester is an engaging.
Oh, I kind of love my instructor’s lame jokes. I’m the only one who laughs at them, though. I must be new at this.
Spring is here… but it snowed today… WHAT IS HAPPENING?
School update- I’m almost finished. I just have three exams next week. I’ve been up until at least 1am consistently every night for the last ten days trying to get final papers and projects finished or I’ve been awake stressing about it. On Tuesday night I presented and defended my first piece of technical documentation and I am fairly confident that I did well. I still have to wrap up my editing piece, and then my technical writing styles final project. Almost done… six more days. I CAN DO THIS. No I can’t. YES I CAN. No, I think I’m just going to curl up into a ball and die. NO YOU WON’T. Yes I will. <—- Me, every day.
Life has been stressful. I’m working full time and attending classes three nights a week and my employer doesn’t know that I’m in school. I’m dealing with stuff at home. A friend passed away and that derailed me for a bit. People are moving away, and I’m not good at goodbyes. I’ve abandoned my bucket list and resolutions for the time being, I just need to survive the next six days. I could use a lot of hugs and reassurance right now. And then… and then…
I was laying in bed at 1:30am this morning and I realized that I’m looking forward to putting my life back together. I’ve taken a three month sabbatical from being domestic in any way shape or form. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve cooked a meal. Or cleaned. And I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I miss it. I used to be a domestic goddess. I cooked, I baked, I sewed, I cleaned sometimes, I went to the gym, and I read books cover to cover. I also realized that while the next six days will totally suck, it will be over soon and I have a lot to look forward to:
- SHOWS! In April alone I’m going to see The Airborne Toxic Event, The Dudes and The Zolas with Julia, and the ever fine Hannah Georgas with Tiffy and Jenny
- Cherry blossoms
- The trees are starting to grow leaves again and greenification has already begun
- My lady love Jaime is going to come for a visit or two, girl I cannot wait for this
- Taking my sister to Jurrasic Park 3D
- I’ll be participating in the Sun Run, despite the fact that I haven’t trained in over a month. I hope I don’t die
- Replanting my herb garden- basil, oregano, dill, mint, chives, and terragon
- May 2, aka THE MOST IMPORTANT DAY OF THE YEAR, is my birthday (and Julia’s too, hooray birthday buddy!)
- I’m finally going to Sasquatch Music Festival for the US Memorial Day weekend, and not only is the line up awesome, but some of my favourite people will be there
- June 6th is adult night at the aquarium and this time I’m bringing a flask since they made me buy food the last time I wanted a glass of wine at adult night
- Setting up my outdoor spaces
- The days are getting lighter, eventually the weather will improve, and the patios will open
- Camping and campfires
- Going to the lake
- BBQ’s on the beach
- Or just BBQing. Everything tastes better on the BBQ, even pizza. Mmmmm. Pizza. Wait, I can have that now if I want. Yay!
- Picnics in the park
- Lunch in the park- let’s be real, I never stopped having lunch in the park. I live for that shit
- Mini skirts, tank tops, bikinis, and sandals
- Suntanning beside the pool
- Driving just after the sun has set with all the windows open and the music turned up
- Road trip to Oregon and California
- Squamish Valley Music Festival and camping and debauchery
- Bike rides around the Seawall
- Popsicles and boozy slurpies
- Fish and chips at Pajos
- WRECK BEACH because aint nobody got time for clothes
- Speaking of no clothes, does anyone remember Camp Naked from last summer on twitter? That will be starting again. When it gets warm, NO CLOTHES
- Stargazing. This one just cannot come fast enough. The telescope is always ready to go
- Warm nights on the deck playing cards and listening to music
- Outdoor concerts
- Reading in the sun
- Drive In movies and movies in the park
- I also mentioned to someone that I wanted to build a blanket fort outside in my yard and have drinks in it – AHEM NATALIE, ARE YOU READING THIS?
- Scott and Lyndsey, I’d really love to be invited to Green Lake again and I promise to return your sleeping bags and bring my own bedding to the cabin and some delicious treats and booze and bug spray and whatever else
I feel better just looking at this list. Good things are coming, people. Keep moving forward.
Here, listen to this while you’re here because it’s great.